Rice & Beans Challenge 2020
What: A commitment to eating rice and beans for seven days or hosting an Awareness Meal in effort to raise money for the Child Nutrition Program and combat COVID-19 related food shortages in the communities it serves.
Who: Friends, families, church groups, youth groups, co-workers, anyone!
Where: Anywhere! Your home, church, school, office, etc.
When: August 23-29, 2020
Why: Our goal is to raise $20,000 for families in need. However, your participation will also give the opportunity for a very small taste of poverty and personal growth. We pray that eyes will be opened and hearts will be changed through the experience of eating simply.
How: Eating rice and beans costs about $1.50/day per person. After a week of eating rice and beans, we suggest you subtract $10.50 from your normal grocery costs and donate the savings. Another option is to host an Awareness Meal. Invite friends and family to learn about the Child Nutrition Program via media on our website, share a meal of rice and beans together, and collect donations!
Here you will find a PDF document to view, print, and use as a guide as you walk through each day of the challenge. Each day you will find a short devotional to read individually or with your friends, family, or group. Enjoy the message of hope that comes from God’s Word as you read each day!
Not sure how to make rice and beans? No problem! You can watch the videos below or click here for a printable recipe booklet.
How to Cook Rice
- 4 C white rice
- 5 C water
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 T salt
In a bowl, look through rice and remove any foreign objects. Wash rice in cold running water, drain water, and wash a second time. In a large pot, add water, oil, and salt and put on medium-high heat. Add rice to pot and cover with lid. Stir rice after 2 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot, then cover with lid. Stir again after 2 minutes for about 30 seconds, scraping the bottom, then cover with lid. Once rice is thickened to a porridge texture, stir again, reduce heat to low, and cover with lid. Rice will be ready in 10-20 minutes.
How to Cook Beans
- 2 C pinto beans
- 1/2 C chopped red onions
- 8 C water
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 t seasoning salt
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- black pepper to taste
- Prepare meals from scratch (recipes below). In the DR, the poor do not have access to instant rice or canned beans, and therefore spend a good deal of their time cooking their food.
- Soak and rinse beans to avoid flatulence 🙂
- Keep meals small to average size, avoiding excess
- Prepare ahead of time, eating well the week before
- Check your mindset and attitude, participate for the right reasons
- Keep a journal or blog about your experience each day and share it with friends and family. Feel free to post a link on the SRI Facebook page!
- Use wisdom if at any time you feel ill and need to drop out. This is not meant to hurt or damage you!
Thank you for participation!
You can also donate through Facebook August 23 – September 15 or send a check to:
SOLID ROCK INTERNATIONAL
PO Box 20867
Indianapolis, IN 46220
We’d love to hear from you! Send stories or pictures to: firstname.lastname@example.org.